Boat Donation — Wisconsin - WI— Donate A Boat
Boat Registration and Title Information
Help a child with a boat, sail boat, trailer, yacht, watercraft, jet ski or wave runner donation to charity. Yacht salvage and personal watercraft salvage information.
Wisconsin - WI - boat registration and title information.
1. Where can I find a form to apply for a new title or registration?
2. What boats are exempt from being titled in Wisconsin?
Boats that are under 16 feet do not have to be titled.
3. What boats are exempt from registration?
1. Sailboats 12 feet and under without a motor.
2. Manually propelled boats not equipped with a motor or sail.
3. Any boat covered by a valid certifi cate from another state or
federal government and has been within this state not more
than 60 consecutive days or if this state is not the state
of principal use.
4. Licensed documented fishing vessels.
A boat present in this state is exempt from registration for a period
of 10 days for the express purpose of competing in a race sanctioned
by a governmental subdivision.
4. Boat Certificate of Numbers information
How to Apply: Requests for boat registration and/or titling are
to be submitted on DNR forms available at DNR fi eld stations,
marinas, and county clerks’ offi ces.
● Expiration: Certificates of numbers or decals are issued
for a three-year period commencing April 1 and expiring on
● Change of Address: In order to receive renewal notices, a boat
owner who changes residence shall within 15 days notify the
DNR of both the old and new address.
● Transfers: Transfer of the ownership of a boat terminates the
certifi cate of number and title. Upon receipt of the required fee
and application, the Department will issue a new certifi cate of
number and/or title for the boat. The number and title will remain
with the boat unless expired. The purchaser of a boat shall
within 15 days and prior to operation make application on forms
furnished by the DNR. The previous owner’s certifi cate and title
shall accompany the application.
A fee shall be paid for the issuance of a certifi cate of number
and/or title by the new owner upon the transfer of ownership of a
boat numbered in this state. The certifi cate shall then be effective
for the remainder of the numbering period for which the previous
certifi cate was issued. After application a person may operate a
boat when a copy of the application is carried onboard.
● It is unlawful to transfer the number designated by the DNR
from one boat to another.
● Duplicates: Duplicate certifi cates, titles, and decals will be
issued for a fee upon the receipt of a proper application stating
that the original certifi cates, titles or decals have been lost
5. How do I display my decals?
Display of Identifi cation Number and Decals: Upon being
issued a certifi cate of number and decal, the owner of a boat
shall display the issued numbers on each side of the forward half
of the boat. Once the certifi cate of number is received, the owner
of the boat must purchase adhesive numbers and letters or paint
the numbers and letters on the boat using block letters not less
than 3" high and in a contrasting color to the surface on which
they are applied. Display the registration number with at least a
2" space or hyphen between the letters and center 4 numbers. It
is the responsibility of the owner to be sure that the registration
number is clearly visible and maintained in legible condition
at all times. Place the registration decal (indicates the date
through which the registration is valid) in line with and 3" from the
registration number, toward the stern. In Wisconsin, registration
expires on March 31 of the year shown on the decal.